Cricket is one of the most lovable sports around the world. From one-day internationals to T-20 matches, the excitement is inevitable. Fans around the world book tickets to cheer up for their favorite team. Time to time, changes happen in cricket to make it more entertaining. Similarly, we have seen a recent change in its format.
Let us talk about the hundred ball cricket new format. It is for the first time in history that the format of cricket is on the number of balls which is 100. The earlier cricket formats were however based on overs. It has some attractive twists and turns too. Fans will get excited to watch their favorite star players in the upcoming league.
Table of Contents
What is the format of 100 cricket?
This is a 100-ball franchise cricket tournament. It involves eight teams with separate men and women teams. For example, One of the eight teams , Manchester Originals has separate men and women teams, The Oval Invincibles will have their separate men and women teams and so on. Men’s team will compete against other men’s teams. Similarly, the Women’s team will compete with other women’s teams. Each team will have single innings, with a maximum of 100 balls. The matches will be played in the major cities across England and Wales.
Read here: Dubai’s best places to visit these holidays
The Administrator and the Board:
- The tournament will be run by the England and Wales cricket board.
- It will be played across the major cities of England and Wales.
- There has been a delay since the past one year.
- The delay was due to the pandemic situation.
Old Cricket Formats:
- Test cricket– The matches were played for 5 days. It had 90 overs in a day.
- One day international- 50 overs for each team.
- T-20 format- There are only 20 overs for each team. Each bowler can deliver four overs. There are fielding restrictions in the first six overs.
Hundred Ball Cricket Rules:
Following are the hundred ball cricket rules:
- There will be 100 balls per innings.
- The toss will take place on the DJ floor. Unlike earlier when tossing took place on the ground itself.
- The change of bowling will end after ten balls.
- The bowlers will be able to deliver five or ten consecutive balls. This will ensure that the captain can ask a bowler to deliver ten balls if it’s a need.
- Each bowler can deliver a maximum of twenty balls per game.
- The strategic time out for each bowling side will be up to two and half minutes.
- There is a twenty-five powerplay start for each team.
- Two fielders are allowed outside the initial thirty-yard circle during the power play. The period at the start of each innings, where only two fielders are allowed out of the inner circle. It lasts for the first 25 balls of the first innings.
- Teams will be able to call time-outs as has been the case in IPL since 2009.
- The non-striker must return to the original end after a caught dismissal.
- No-ball is worth two runs in the hundred ball cricket format. Earlier it was one run for one ball.
- The match will last for less than three hours. This change is done to make the match shorter and quicker to watch.
Read here: Is cycling good for all types of women
The Teams Playing:
- Each team has for women squad and men squad.
- Each squad consists of 15 players.
- Each can have a maximum of three overseas stars.
Below is the list of some of the top star players.
|TEAMS||WOMEN STAR PLAYERS||MEN STAR PLAYERS||HOME GROUNDS|
|Manchester Originals||Sophie Ecclestone, Harmanpreet Kaur, and Emma Lamb.||Jos Buttler, Phil Salt and Lockie Ferguson.||Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester|
|London Spirit||Tammy Beaumont, Deandra Dottin and Freya Davies.||Eoin Morgan, Dan Lawrence and Mohammad Nabi.||Lord’s, London|
|Birmingham Phoenix||Shafali Verma, Amy Jones, and Kirstie Gordon.||Moeen Ali, Pat Brown and Liam Livingstone.||Edgbaston, Birmingham|
|Welsh Fire||Sarah Taylor, Katie George and Sophie Luff.||Jonny Bairstow, Tom Banton, and Glenn Phillips.||Sophia Gardens, Cardiff|
|Trent Rockets||Nat Sciver, Katherine Brunt and Sarah Glenn.||Dawid Malan, Alex Hales and Joe Root.||Trent Bridge, Nottingham|
|Southern Brave||Sophia Dunkley, Smriti Mandhana and Anya Shrubsole.||Colin de Grandhomme, James Vince, and Quinton de Kock.||The Ageas Bowl, Southampton|
|Oval Invincibles||Georgia Adams, Marizanne Kapp and Dane van Niekerk.||Saqib Mahmood, Sunil Narine and Sam Curran.||The Kia Oval, London|
|Northern Superchargers||Lauren Winfield-Hill, Jemimah Rodrigues and Katie Levick.||Ben Stokes, Adil Rashid and Chris Lynn.||Emerald Headingley, Leeds|
Captains of Different Teams:
- Manchester Originals –
Women’s squad- Kate Cross
Men’s squad- Jos Buttler
2. London Spirit –
Women’s squad- Heather Knight
Men’s squad- Eoin Morgan
3. Birmingham Phoenix –
Women’s squad- Amy Jones
Men’s squad- Moeen Ali
4. Welsh Fire –
Women’s squad- Sophie Luff
Men’s squad- Jonny Bairstow
5. Trent Rockets –
Women’s squad- Nat Sciver
Men’s squad- Lewis Gregory
6. Southern Brave –
Women’s squad- Anya Shrubsole
Men’s squad- James Vince
7. Oval Invincibles –
Women’s squad- Dane van Niekerk
Men’s squad- Sam Billings
8. Northern Superchargers –
Women’s squad- Lauren Winfield-Hill
Men’s squad- Faf du Plessis
For two and half hours.
As the format is based on the number of balls. The change of bowling ends after ten balls. So, the overs will be ten.
The new 100 ball format will keep the toss session on the DJ floor instead of the ground.
The male star players will not be featuring in it because the BCCI does not allow its male players to play in franchise-based leagues outside the country.
Yes, not more than five fielders are appointed along the leg side.
The fielding side gets the chance to call for a strategic time out of up to 150 seconds.
In this case, they will keep an extra fielder within 30 yards.
White card is held by the umpires. They do this to signal the end of each set of five balls. In cricket, this is known as an over.
Yes, there will be live telecasts of the matches too.
The hundred ball cricket format will be very exciting to watch. The league will feature top overseas star players. Women and men teams will play side-by-side at the tournament. This will ensure that the whole family can watch their favorite male and female players in the league. The format has changed the rules. However, the match will last for a short time period making it worth watching all together.
Media Team of Matchlessly is dedicated to explore and collect all the stories/info which require the attention of the world.