There was a lot of buzz and excitement among the Indian crowd for the 32nd Olympics. India witnessed a great sense of pride since the very first day.
Lovlina Borgohain assured India of their first boxing medal at the Tokyo Olympics. She qualified in the semifinals after defeating Chinese Taipei’s Nien-Chin Chen. And finally secured a bronze medal after losing the semi finals to world champion Busenaz Surmeneli. It was great news and a moment of pride for all the Indians. Let us know about the talented woman who has made India proud.
Read here: Mirabai Chanu’s Biography
Table of Contents
Who is Lovlina Borgohain?
Lovlina Borgohain is an Indian welterweight boxer. She hails from golaghat, Assam. 23 years old Lovlina has become the first woman from Assam to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics.
Lovlina Borgohain Personal Details:
|BIRTH||2 OCTOBER, 1997|
|AGE||23 YEARS OLD|
|PROFESSION AND WEIGHT CLASS||BOXER, WELTERWEIGHT|
|WEIGHT||69 kg (152 lb)|
|HEIGHT||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|COACHES/MENTORS||PADUM BORO AND SHIV SINGH|
|NET WORTH||1-5 MILLION DOLLAR|
Lovlina Borgohain Family, Birth and Education Details:
Lovlina Borgohain was born on 2nd October, 1997. She was born in the Golaghat district of Assam. She is the youngest in her family with two elder sisters. Her father is a small scale businessman. She got great support from her father to continue her ambition.
She completed her higher education from Barpathar Girls High School. She got inspiration for boxing from her elder sisters.
|Father’s Name||Tiken Borgohain|
|Mother’s Name||Mamoni Borgohain|
|Siblings||Licha and Lima|
Lovlina Borgohain Career:
She started her career as a kickboxer and later switched to boxing. She took part in the trials during her school days. Due to her great ability at boxing and hardwork, she got selected by chief women’s coach Shiv Singh.
She got the biggest break of her career when she was selected for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. It was for the welterweight boxing category. She is the second boxer to get selected from her state after Shiva Thapa.
Read here: Neeraj Chopra’s Biography
Lovlina Borgohain Achievements:
- Lovlina won a gold medal in the welterweight category, at the international boxing championship held in February 2018.
- She made India proud by participating and securing a bronze medal at the Asian Boxing Championships in Vietnam in 2017.
- Lovlina secured a bronze medal at the President’s Cup held in Astana in June 2017.
- Along with representing India at the 2018 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships, she secured a bronze medal too.
- Borgohain secured an Olympic berth at the 2020 Asia & Oceania Boxing Olympic Qualification Tournament.
- She is the first woman from Assam to qualify for the Olympics and the second boxer from the state to represent India.
- She received Arjuna Awards from the President Ram Nath Kovind for her outstanding performances in boxing.
- She represented India at the 13th International Silesian Championship in Poland in September 2018 and won a silver medal.
Lovlina Borgohain in Tokyo Olympics:
- She has participated in the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics. Borgohain has defeated the German boxer Nadine Apetz. On 30th July 2021, she defeated Chinese Taipei’s Nien-chin Chen and secured her medal for India.
- After winning the quarterfinals, she qualified to the semifinals.
- She signed off with a Bronze Medal after losing the semifinal with 0-5 to world champion Busenaz Surmeneli.
India is proud that women like Lovlina Borgohain are showcasing their talent at the Olympics and other world championships. Let us cheer up for her future fights and wish her the best. We are looking forward to witness some more winning matches from her.
Licha and Lima also competed at the national kickboxing, but did not continue it.
Padum Boro was her first coach.
Yes, she had won a silver medal at the Ulaanbaatar Cup.
Yes, she received Arjuna Awards presented by the President Ram Nath Kovind.
She completed her schooling from Barpathar Girls high school, Golaghat, Assam.
Media Team of Matchlessly is dedicated to explore and collect all the stories/info which require the attention of the world.